Caring for your jute rug
Vacuuming your Jute rug thoroughly on a weekly basis will prevent dirt that is on the surface of the rug getting embedded and making it much harder to clean. We recommend turning off your vacuum's beater bar as this can erode and damage the natural fibres and therefore decrease the life of your rug. Don’t forget to also vacuum under the rug as Jute rugs can shed grass fibres which leave dust under the rug.
SPILLS & STAINS:
Any spills should be dealt with as soon as they happen to prevent permanent stains on your Jute rug. Follow the below steps for the best way to treat the spill:
- Blot up excess with a clean white cloth or paper towel - do not rub as this can deepen the spill into the fibres
- Use a clean cloth and warm water to clean the spill
- For acidic stains (such as wine and tomato sauce) these need to be neutralised and removed with soda water
- For stubborn stains try blotting with a small amount of washing up liquid diluted in water. Once the stain has gone blot the area with clean water to remove the soap
- Dry damp spots with a hairdryer
Jute is a very absorbent material and holds on to water and other liquids easily. It is important to use as little water as possible when cleaning your rug, Jute rugs will mould if they are not allowed to dry completely.
Rugs without a rubber backing need a rug grip to stop them from slipping and creeping! We recommend buying our anti-slip underlay which can be cut to the size and shape of your rug.
- Safety - No matter where the rug is placed (on carpet or hard flooring), a pad keeps the rug in place to prevent slips and pulls
- Longevity - Believe it or not, a rug grip extends the life of your rug by preventing the fibres from being crushed. The pad acts as a buffer between the hard surface below and the rug above
- Protection - Very important! A pad prevents dye transfer, marring, staining, and scratching to the floor or carpeting beneath
- Comfort - A pad adds extra cushiony softness underfoot
- Cleanliness - A pad allows for easier vacuuming as it holds the rug in position